Septic systems contain multiple pipes extending from your home to the tank located beneath the drain field outdoors. With pipes come the risk of a leak. How do you identify a septic system leak and the causes behind it?
Cleaning Product Use
Septic tanks rely on good bacteria for breaking down natural solid waste. Over-reliance on chemical-based cleaning products can kill the bacteria, leading to solid waste buildup over time. This accumulation can overwhelm the system, causing an eventual leak. We strongly advise homeowners to use only natural septic cleaners.
As mentioned, septic systems contain multiple pipelines. Any one of these can be damaged through a number of factors, such as:
- Penetration from tree roots
- Excess weight from driving over the drain field
- Ignoring regular septic system pumping intervals
How to Detect a Septic System Leak in Bonney Lake
There are telltale signs that a leakage may be lurking within your system. Contact septic system maintenance personnel if you spot any of the following:
- A strong odor in the drain field. The smell resembles that of rotting sewage. This is an indicator of black water and can be a serious sanitation issue.
- Unusual vegetation growth. This is due to a leak leading to increased water exposure for grass and shrub roots.
- Lingering standing water. This manifests in the form of ponding water in the drain field, which feels mushy when stepped over.
- Slow drainage. The sink and shower drains as well as the toilet may take longer than usual to fully drain.
Let Us Restore Your Septic System
A septic system leak warrants a response from a professional sewer service. If you notice the signs of septic trouble, give Nordvind Company a call to arrange a visit. We’ll help restore the health and optimal function of your system.
Septic System Leak Detection and Repair in Bonney Lake
Serving Auburn, Covington, Enumclaw, Maple Valley, Bonney Lake, Buckley, Graham, Orting, Puyallup, Sumner, and More